Thursday, May 31, 2012

Muse Of The Day: Bon Jovi - Something To Believe In

Tonight I'll dust myself off
Tonight I'll suck my gut in
I'll face the night and I'll pretend
I got something to believe in

Though I know I won't win
I'll take this one on the chin
We'll raise a toast and I'll pretend
I got something to believe in



Recognize the picture? It's the Holy Trinity of Best, Law, Charlton of none other than Manchester United. The Great Manchester United Football Club - boasting 19 Premier League Titles, the largest fanbase in the world, the Great Sir Alex Ferguson, and perhaps - the LARGEST DEBT any football club has?

Old Trafford


Stretford End

A Trophyless 2011-2012 Season
Don't get me wrong. I love United. Being there for the very first time last year to watch Park (hey a fellow Asian & United man) score the winner against Arsenal was a great feeling. But one can't help but feel the title slipping away at the dying minutes of both the Manchester games was something of a pre-determined fate. The moment we drew at Everton, you could feel it - the false hopes of a title - the paper covering over the cracks coming undone - yes Scholes is and was a great player, but how long more can he carry the team? I think we hoped rather than believed that we would win, and I had also more in hope more than belief watch the Swansea/ Sunderland games expecting a landslide United score. Yes, City have got tons of money to spend, but the current United just doesn't feel right. SAF keeps insisting he has the money to spend - really? He says the team is progressing well and is close to Barcelona standards - really? The 89 point tally would have won us the title in many other seasons - so what?

There is this nagging feeling I have that we are falling behind. There is a genuine fear this time around that we may not recover as our opponents are getting richer & richer. Regardless of the great brand and support we have, Glazernomics is holding us back and preventing us from maintaining a hold on the EPL, let alone challenging for European Honours. The way we exited Europe - two times, in itself was painful to watch. What happened to the Singapore IPO? If the stats are right, and 1 in every 10 football fan is a Red Devil, if each of us contributed 1 pound per year to the transfer fund, we'd have more money than City to spend!

The question now is - offseason - what is going to happen? Kagawa? Baines? Who else? I'm glad we're being linked to the right players for the right positions - Midfield, Left Back and hopefully a Right Back.

For tonight - i'll dust myself off, go to sleep with hope. Face the night and i'll pretend, I have something to believe in. Glory Glory Man United.


Question Of The Day - What do you foresee, or want to see happen in the next few months?

1 comment:

  1. By the way, today's papers show Manchester United is supported by an estimated 659 million people worldwide. Again - if each person was to contribute 1 pound a year, we'd have 659 million pounds to spend on transfers!

    ReplyDelete